birding-aus

Woodswallow influx..

To: <>
Subject: Woodswallow influx..
From: Michael Ramsey <>
Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2007 19:01:36 +1000
Hi all,

I have noticed over the last week a large influx of Woodswallows into my area
(Broadford) in central Victoria.
On Monday the 15th October a flock of about 140 White-browed and Masked
Woodswallows passed over Broadford township.
This was interesting because it was very similar (three days later) to my
sighting of these birds, same place last year.

Today I saw about 30 White-browed Woodswallows at my work at Kinglake West and
later in the afternoon back in Broadford around 700+ White-browed and Masked
Woodswallows (as posted on Birdline Victoria). All afternoon small flocks
passed over the back garden. Towards eveing they all seemed to come together
and I would think approximately 1500+ were seen in one thick flock in a line
that went over a third across the sky. Truly an impressive sight and the
constant calling was terrific to listen to. I didn't notice the birds feeding
on anything.

Later in the evening to the west of Broadford on an evening walk along Three
Chain Road another 100+, White-browed and Masked Woodswallows were seen as well
as a few Dusky Woodswallows.

I anticipate this year will be one where Woodswallows, (White-browed and
Masked) will be around often, especially in southern Victoria as the dry spring
continues. I have already noticed many Woodswallows reports on Birdline NSW and
Victoria. I would be interested in knowing if others have had an influx on
Woodswallows into their local area recently? Also what is the largest number of
Woodswallows seen in one flock? I thought 1500+ was truly spectacular.

Regards, Michael Ramsey, Broadford. (36 12 S, 145 02 E)
It's simple! Sell your car for just $30 at CarPoint.com.au
http://a.ninemsn.com.au/b.aspx?URL=http%3A%2F%2Fsecure%2Dau%2Eimrworldwide%2Ecom%2Fcgi%2Dbin%2Fa%2Fci%5F450304%2Fet%5F2%2Fcg%5F801459%2Fpi%5F1004813%2Fai%5F859641&_t=762955845&_r=tig_OCT07&_m=EXT==============================www.birding-aus.org