birding-aus

Jabiru, Sea-eagle questions

To: "Murray Hunt" <>, "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: Jabiru, Sea-eagle questions
From: "Greg & Val Clancy" <>
Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2007 21:35:25 +1000
Hi Murray,

I take it that your query refers to the Black-necked (Satin) Stork and not the real Jabiru Jabiru mycteria of South America. As I have just submitted my PhD thesis on the Black-necked Stork (to be called the Satin Stork if and when split from the Asian birds) I can answer most of your questions about the species.

Black-necked Storks are solitary territorial nesters and as far as anyone knows are monogamous. They are likely to mate for life but divorce could possibly occur if one of the partners did not shape up to expectations.

Many stork species have been recorded as reaching over 30 years of age in captivity. They are likely to live for up to this age in the wild but my banding programme has only been going for four years so, although I have found out some great movement information, longevity information will take many years more.

Young birds have dark brown irides like the adult male and the females attain their yellow irides as they are moulting into full adult plumage at about 2 years of age. The timing of the attainment of adult plumage is still being determined and I will know more about this in the near future when I assess the known data.

Regards

Greg Clancy