birding-aus

Adelaïde to Darwin trip report + help for ID

To: <>
Subject: Adelaïde to Darwin trip report + help for ID
From: "Patrick Ingremeau" <>
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2007 17:47:12 +1100
 Hello,

With this report, I'd like to pay a little part of the huge debt I've got with
this list. So, I'll try to gather all my english (poor, I'm afraid... I'm
French... ) to write this report of a trip I recently made from Adelaïde to
Darwin. It was'nt really a birding trip stricto sensu (my wife is non-birder
and my five years old daughter...well... she's five years old).

In addition to this, I have a litlle request. During this trip, I've made some
pictures and among them are pictures of birds I can't identify for sure. You
can find them at this adress with pictures of unidentified birds from previous
trips : http://www.pbase.com/tamandua/unid

If the experts could take a look and give their opinion, it would be really
kind. Thanks !

Here are the highlights (at least for me !) of this trip (202 species seen)

Clare valley : 2 Regent Parrots with Galahs on a private lawn (didn't find them
last year in WA !) and good numbers of Adelaïde Rosella;

Flinders ranges : lot of emus (adults, immatures, chiks), Elegant Parrot,
White-winged chough, red-rumped parrot.. red kangaroo, yellow-footed
rock-wallaby and blue-tongued lizzard (robusta).

Maree - Lake Eyre - William creek : good numbers of Cinnamon Quail-thrushes,
some Chirruping Wedgebills, Orange Chat, Crimson Chat, Gibber Bird, Rufous
Fieldwren (seemed common around edges of the lake Eyre), Little Eagle (a very
tame pair), Bourke's parrot, White-winged Fairy-wren. 3 groups of Banded
Whiteface between William Creek and Coober Peddy. Southern Whiteface seemed
rather common.

Stuart Highway between Coober Peddy and Erdunlda : good numbers of Wedge-tailed
eagle (many roadkills), the first Mulga parrot and 2 Black-Breasted Buzzards.

Around Uluru : Crested Bellbirds, Little Woodswallows (valley of the winds),
white-backed Swallow, Black-breasted Buzzard, a Spotted Harrier immature.

Kings canyon resort and walk : Very tame Mulga Parrots, Spinifex pigeon,
Black-breasted Buzzard, Hooded and red-capped Robins and a group of Inland
Thornbills.

Ormiston Gorge Ponds walk : 1 Dusky Grasswren (at last, I won't leave Australia
without seeing a Grasswren), good numbers of Painted Firetails, some
Gray-headed Honeyeaters, a pair of Variegated fairy-wren...

On the Larapinta drive : a central bearded dragon.

In Alice Springs : a Perentie on the Telegraph hill walk. Spotted Doves in town
(a little out of range, no ???).

Ti-tree : Australian Hobby

A little after Tennant Creek, along the Stuart Highway : an Australian Bustard,
a group of very tame Gray-fronted, Brown and Rufous-throated Honeyeaters
(adults and imm.) around a very little water hole.

Mataranka : a Red Goshawk female on its nest with two chiks, a lot of
Apostlebirds in town (as well as in Daly Waters), Banded Honeyeaters and a
group of Varied Sitellas.

Kakadu always so magical (It was my third time there) : the usual suspects in
good numbers : Magpie goose, Plumed and wandering Whistling-duck, green
Pygmy-goose, Radjah Shelduck, Black-necked storks, Egrets, Nankeen night-heron,
Wiskered tern, Gull-billed tern, Australian Pratincole, Black-tailed
treecreeper, Leaden, Restless and Shinig Flycatchers (the three in the same
place), Partridge Pigeon and a Marsh Sandpier at Mamukala (a tick for me).. at
last, on my third attempt, I was lucky enough to see three Chestnut-quilled
Rock-Pigeon at the Bardedjilidji walk (The White-quilled was really easy to
tick in The Kimberley compared to this one).

Fogg Dam : 3 Brolgas (adults with an immature)

At East Point in Darwin : tame Rainbow Beeeaters, large-billed Gerygone,
Broad-billed Flycatcher, Rufous-banded Honeyeater, Forest Kingfisher, Lesser
and Greater sand Plovers....

Here it is... all my apologizes for my english... and  thanks again for the
informations I've got from all your messages for three years now !

Patrick et Sandrine Ingremeau
Mare island
New Caledonia
Birds from Adelaïde to Darwin