birding-aus

re: bali birding

To: <>, <>
Subject: re: bali birding
From: "Steve Potter" <>
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2007 16:53:53 +0930
Greg, Re Bali

I find this site very helpful for Indonesia.

http://www.travellingbirder.com/tripreports/trip_reports_Indonesia.php

Persoanlly I head to:
Nusa Dua Treatments ponds: Excellent and well set up. Lots of waterfowl,
waders and mangrove species. My Favorite.
Ubud: Guide there is Sumadi (Su) Wayan from Bali Bird walks (ph:
+628174733318 email:  . She runs a walk through rice
fields for about 3-3.5 hours. Cost is US$30 and includes a lunch at the end.
Great value.
Depending on your time, also head to Bali Barat National Park 4 hours away
to the North west. See trip reports from above for details.
Also the Botanical Gardens in the centre of Bali are suppose to be good but
you need to be there early!
Otherwise closer to Kuta is the temple area at Uluwatu for Frigates/Boobies
etc.
Also most hotels have great grounds where you find all sort of birds.
I also did a walk in the Nusa Dua Golf course once. That was great! I did it
in the middle of the day so morning should be even better.

Go to http://www.birdpedia.com/id/bi.dll/bipu01?m=001 and click on reserves
and select Bali as the area, then get list for reserves and species info.
Any probs email me.

Re Borneo and Sulawesi, see trip reports again from travellingbirder.

I'll be there in 2 weeks!!!

Cheers

Steve Potter
Blackwood, SA