birding-aus

bird calls on the internet

To: Peter Shute <>, <>
Subject: bird calls on the internet
From: "Arwen B. Ximenes" <>
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2007 19:30:32 +1000
I got heaps of responses, so thanks everyone for your tactful suggestions -
yes, I think it was most probably a sugar glider, NOT a barking owl...next time
I might just brave the cold to investigate. Or not.

I'll also try the links which have been suggested, though I can see I will have
to invest in some CDs soon, meanwhile I'll just bumble along making silly
guesses!

Cheers,
Arwen
......................................... Arwen Blackwood Ximenes
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2007 09:48:19 +1000> From: > To:
; > > There are also a few
recordings at> http://abc.net.au/archives/av/birds.htm.> > I started out the
same way, trying to find them on the net, but there> are too many missing. I
ended up just buying the whole set of BOCA CDs.> Because I can now easily
browse through them or just listen to the whole> lot, I have become much more
familiar with them all and this helps when> I hear something new - I often know
I've heard it on the CDs so I can> find it more quickly. It's not cheap at
about $200, but I think it's> worth it - and I'm the biggest cheapskate out.
I've loaded them all as> mp3's onto my phone, so I can listen to them on the
train.> > Could your barking sound be a fox? Have a listen to this recording:>
http://www.angelfire.com/ar2/thefoxden/matingcall.wav> > Peter Shute> >
 wrote on :> > > Hi there everyone,> > I'm
relatively new to birding, though I've always been> > interested, and I'm new
to Birding-Aus. I just wondered if> > there are any other recorded bird calls
available on the> > internet which I haven't come across yet? I have found the>
> ones on birdpedia.com and birdsinbackyards.net, though I've> > heard a couple
of calls recently which aren't on there.> > > > First one: a couple of sacred
kingfishers calling to each> > other, in full view of the road a couple of days
ago (Henry> > St, Lawson - Blue Mountains). I got an excellent view, truly> >
beautiful creatures, and of course I didn't have my camera on> > me! The calls
were a lot gentler than any I've heard before -> > they didn't seem like alarm
calls.> > > > Other one: last night I heard a quiet yapping sound and I> >
thought immediately of the barking owl (which I've never> > heard before) -
none of the recordings of the barking owl> > seem close, so perhaps it was just
something else. Being in> > the middle of the night I didn't have the energy to
grab the> > camera and do a quick recording so I've forgotten it in part> > and
can't describe it more accurately.