birding-aus

Contact lenses vs glasses for birding

To: "Peter Shute" <>, <>
Subject: Contact lenses vs glasses for birding
From: "Rosemary Royle" <>
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2007 10:10:19 +0100
Having, over the last 40 years, used glasses - hard lenses - gas permeable
lenses - soft lenses - back to glasses  - I would make the following points:

1) Persevere for a while - it can take some time for your eyes to really settle
down with lenses

2) Birdwatchers expect a lot from their vision - using bins and a scope demands
high performance from the eyes and so you are pushing the boundaries compared
with most lenses users.

3) I personally never managed to get decent vision with soft lenses. The
optician was happy with my vision but I was not. Like you, my vision kept
changing all the time.

Glasses can be a pain - steaming up and rain were the worst problems for me -
but I have gone back to them mainly because my eyes were getting too dry for
lenses. With a decent scope and bins I can see pretty well (apart from lurking
cataracts, which is a different problem!)

Rosemary Royle

Wales, UK

PS Some styles of glasses are better for bins/scope than others - they should
not be too far from your face.