birding-aus

The Narrabeen Ospreys.

To: Bruce Cox <>, Birding-aus <>
Subject: The Narrabeen Ospreys.
From: Charles Hunter <>
Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2007 11:30:49 +1000 (EST)
Hi Bruce  / all,

  Just wanted to note I witnessed this great event yesterday, when driving back
home from the Northen Beaches. Seeing Bruce's viewing area on the side of the
road, with scope, chair etc, I had to stop as it had to be something good!

  I never leave home without the bins and to my delight I saw the male, female
and a brief glimpses of the chick.

  Thanks for the lend of the scope Bruce, it was good to meet you.

  Fingers crossed the chick(s) fledge. I will head down again over the next
couple of weeks to check on progress.

  Cheers,
  Charles Hunter
  Paddington, Sydney

Bruce Cox <> wrote:
  Hello Birding-aussers,

The Sydney Ospreys have, for two seasons, tried to breed in a Norfolk pine near
Narrabeen Lagoon entrance, both times they were unsucessful, the first time the
nest appeared to collapse, the second time they abandoned the nest sometime
between 27-9-2007 and 5-10-207 (my visits!).

This year they changed their nest site to a dead eucalypt on Middle Creek which
flows into the inland side of the lagoon. He has been bringing fish into her at
the nest but I have been unable to work out if she is feeding chicks because of
my low vantage point.

While watching yesterday I saw a little brown head pop up above the nest rim,
this only happened twice but I managed a good profile, enough to identify an
Osprey chick. At this stage I don't know how many chicks are in the nest.

If they fledge one or more chicks it will be a first breeding record for Sydney.

Bruce.

Bruce Cox on Sydney's Northern Beaches.