birding-aus

Dunedoo birding

Subject: Dunedoo birding
From: Lynn <>
Date: Wed, 03 Oct 2007 18:48:31 +1000
Hi all

I spent the long weekend just gone out at Dunedoo ( about 90kms north east of Dubbo , NSW. ) with a birding mate. It was very windy but we still managed to see some good birds. Saw around 75 species out there and around 100 all up including those seen whilst driving on the way out and back .The whole area received some good rain in June and was looking quite lush , but no follow up rain and the hot windy conditions will soon dry things out again.

The highlight, which was an unexpected treat, was seeing 4 Crimson Chats, about 3 kms along the Dunedoo to Mendooran Road.

Also seen here were Zebra Finch , Brown and Rufous Songlarks, a Horsefield Bronze-Cuckoo and around 35 Red-kneed Dotterels.

We spent most of the weekend birding around the Dunedoo -Mendooran Road and the following were some of the highlights:

Southern Whiteface - 1 pair seen feeding young in a nest ( 3 other pairs seen )
Grey-crowned Babblers  about 10 seen
White-browed Babblers  about the same.
Common Bronzewings    a dozen or so
White-winged Trillers      half a dozen
Western Gerygones
Apostlebirds
Australian Ringneck
Red-capped Robin   (14)
Hooded Robin          (2)
Brown-headed Honeyeater  ( 2)
Diamond Firetail  (4)
Pallid Cuckoo  (2)
Speckled Warblers (8)
Emu (2)
White-eared Honeyeater (3)
Cockatiel (2)

The best bird seen on the drive home was a Spotted Harrier, just out of Singleton.

Cheers

Dick Jenkin
DUNGOG NSW