birding-aus

Massive surge in Topknot Pigeon numbers

To: Greg <>
Subject: Massive surge in Topknot Pigeon numbers
From: Penny Brockman <>
Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2007 14:07:21 +1000
There are huge numbers of White-headed Pigeons in Gloucester at the moment, flocks of 100+, mid-north coast inland NSW. We also had large flocks of Topknot Pigeons feeding in the Camphur Laurels when in full fruit mid June to 1st week July, flocks of 50 - 150. Now only have the White-heads, which are always present in town along the river but not usually in such large numbers.

Also saw my first Leaded Flycatcher of the season on the Monkerie Road, between Gloucester and Dungog on Monday 16th August. Still not heard any Koels or Channel-bills - they always appear to come later to Gloucester than Central Coast and Sydney.

It is interesting that people are seeing large numbers of Topknot Pigeons as in the Clarence Valley, north coast NSW, we presently have large numbers of White-headed Pigeons. I had 29+ in our backyard at Coutts Crossing a few days ago and Russell Jago had 50-60 apparently migrating at Ulmarra recently. Theses are large numbers for these sites.