birding-aus

NSW - Kurnell and Banksia, 15 September

To: <>
Subject: NSW - Kurnell and Banksia, 15 September
From: "Troy Mutton" <>
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2007 12:59:54 +1000
Hi birders,

Went to Kurnell and Riverine park at Banksia this morning to see what's about.
It was quite windy with gusts up to 30 knots, but there was some good birding
to be had.

At the Metromix site, the Pied Oystercatchers I reported to be nesting a few
weeks back have a baby, a tiny little brown ball of fluff with the very tip of
its beak red. It came out of the reeds on the island in the middle to be fed,
and then disappeared back into them. Also a Great and Little Egret (complete
with plumes), 1 White-faced Heron, 5 Eastern Curlew, a Swamp Harrier, and some
Chestnut Teal there. Further down the road at Quibray Bay, the tide had come up
more than I expected, so all I saw there was a solitary Bar-tailed Godwit and
35 Eastern Curlew roosting on the pier stumps/oysterbeds on the far side of the
bay against the mangroves, and a pair of Little Wattlebirds, and a Brown
Honeyeater in the heath at the carpark. The usual Silvereyes and Superb
Fairy-wrens about. There was a Black-shouldered Kite on the powerlines heading
towards Kurnell.

At Bonna Point, the wind was belting along and most of the beach on the western
end of the point has been washed away. Nothing much about there except for 6
Common Terns sheltering on the second groyne in with Crested Tern - a great
opportunity to compare sizes of the birds. The ubiquitous Cormorants (Little
Pied and Little Black) were there in droves. Thought I'd have a look at Cape
Solander while I was in the area, and there wasn't much happening at first, and
then hundreds and hundreds of Shearwaters apeared. They appeared to be mostly
Fluttering and Wedge-tailed shearwaters. A flock of about 20 Yellow-tailed
Black Cockatoos were present at Yena Picnic area, and a Whistling Kite was
being harrassed by Pied Currawongs, Noisy Miners and a Magpie.

On the way home, I stopped in at Riverine Park in Banksia to see if any
Sharpies have turned up yet - its still quite full, but there was 7 Sharpies
and a Curlew Sandpiper. Also a single Black-fronted Dotterel and about 30 or so
Black-winged Stilts, several nesting. A pair of Golden-headed Cisticola topped
off the visit.

So now I have to finish an essay due today, but I've had a great morning, so
don't care :)

Cheers
Troy