birding-aus

Rufous Owl in South West WA

To: "L&L Knight" <>, <>, "Kurtis Lindsay" <>
Subject: Rufous Owl in South West WA
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2007 17:20:37 +1000
I don't think that an owl eating a magpie is at all unusual (even though it is
not their main fare). Ninox Owls certainly eat birds. A good bit of lateral
thinking from Kurtis to suggest it may be a Brown Goshawk. We should let her
look at the books and respond to that suggestion. As the correspondent wrote "I
have no experience of owls" but also slightly contradictorily "I looked up and
saw the biggest owl I have ever seen!" As in does she or not know how to
distinguish an owl from a goshawk. Also the time suggested (morning) and that
it was feeding, would probably be more fitting of a diurnal raptor than an owl.

Philip