birding-aus

Rufous Owl in South West WA

To: <>, <>
Subject: Rufous Owl in South West WA
From: "John Harris" <>
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2007 10:52:45 +1000
Any photos would be great Amy.  They would make for a very interesting
sighting in your "brag-book".

Please send a copy to me, if you are able to get some.

Yours in all things "green"

Regards

John Harris
Secretary, Victorian Association for Environmental Education (VAEE)
Environmental Education Officer
Donvale Christian College
155 Tindals Rd Donvale 3111
0409 090 955

>>> <> 09/11/07 9:41 am >>>
Dear All,

I had an amazing experience on Friday. (7th Sept.) I was walking down
the
street in Bridgetown (in south west WA) when something overhead caught
my
attetion. Imagine my surprise when I looked up and saw the biggest owl
have ever seen! I was seeing it from behind, as it was sitting on top
of a
sign outside a shop, and that sign was hanging from the rafters under
the
verandah.  When I walked around to see the front of it, another
surprise!
It was holding a dead magpie in it's claws! Every now and then he/she
would take a bite out of it, although it was eating very slowly. The
owner
of the shop said that it had been there since 8am and it was 11.30am
by
the time I saw it.

I have no experience of owls and neither did any of the many other
people
that stood watching. I also did not have my camera, but many other
people
did so I am going to try to get a copy from someone. No-one knew what
kind
of owl it was, but we all had the chance to observe it for a long time,
so
it was etched into my brain. When I got back home to my daughters
house, I
pulled out my ID books, and the only owl it could have been is the
Rufous
Owl! My daughter agreed wholeheartedly!

I know, I know, you don't get Rufous Owls in the south west of WA, but
was talking to a local later on in the day and he said that about eight
of
them have been seen. Which of course could be the same bird eight
times!
So obviously an escapee, but an amazing sight nonetheless.

It was one of the best birding experiences I have had in my short
career
of birdwatching.

Bye for now,
Amy Flatt - Happy Bird Watcher!