birding-aus

Sea sickness and Antarctic trip?

To: "Koren Mitchell" <>, "Birding-Aus" <>
Subject: Sea sickness and Antarctic trip?
From: "Val Curtis" <>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2007 22:12:38 +1000
Hi Koren,
I've done one of the Antarctic trips and I can assure you that the boats are
all stabilised and even if your Mum is sick for a day or so she should be OK
after that; there is absolutely no comparison to the Pelagic trips out of
Sydney or Victorian trips  and she will have a very comfortable bed to retire
to and medical assistance if necessary.
I've taken seasick pills for about three days, taking them every four hours
when I was sailing. After that I would become totally immune and could even
cook a full meal with the yacht bouncing around all over the place and by the
end of three weeks nothing could make me sick. On the Antarctic trip I don't
think I had to take any pills.
I have found on the pelagic trips that I'm much better if I take a pill before
going to bed the night before, NO ALCOHOL the night before and a pill first
thing in the morning, then every four hours. It is wise to eat. I find little
and often is the best. Apples seem to suit me very well and something like
Muesli bars to nibble on. I don't drink a lot of fluids because as a female
having to go to the toilet is very inconvenient especially if wearing full wet
weather gear!!
I've sailed in all sorts of conditions around Tasmania and Victoria and find
that if one can get through the first day and a half then all goes well for the
rest of  the trip. I've also been out on many Pelagics in Victoria and the only
time I had a totallly awful trip was when I indulged in quite a lot of wine the
evening before.
All boats have a different sort of motion but within a day and a half I think
most people get over the worst effects and can start to enjoy themselves. The
trouble with the pelagic trips is that they are just one day and there is not
enough time to adept to the motion.

Hope this is some help. Encourage you Mum to GO FOR IT!!!

Val Curtis