birding-aus

Chiltern Birdwatching Weekend and Convention

To: "Tim Dolby" <>, <>
Subject: Chiltern Birdwatching Weekend and Convention
From: "Tim Dolby" <>
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2007 13:44:41 +1000
Hi all,

FYI, Friday 7 to Sunday 9 September Chiltern will be holding a convention and
birding weekend. See below for details.

Cheers,

Tim Dolby

Chiltern Tourism Association presents the inaugural Chiltern Birdwatching
Weekend and Convention.

PROGRAMME for Chiltern Birdwatching Weekend and Convention (Friday 7 to Sunday
9 September)

Guest speakers, BBQ and field trips with experts to see Chiltern's abundance of
bird life, over 220 species of birds that attract international visitation.
Sponsored by Birds Australia and Indigo Shire Council, the Weekend will offer
experienced and novice enthusiasts alike the chance to enjoy and learn about
the rich diversity of bird life found in this picturesque area.

FRIDAY NIGHT

6:30PM for 7:00PM

We will enjoy our local wines with finger food from our bakery. Peter Merritt
who contributes regularly in "Wingspan" (see Vol. 16 No. 3 Sept 2006) with his
spectacular bird photography will be our guest speaker and present some of his
work to all there. He will officially open the weekend and judge the bird
paintings from the local school children. This will be at the Chiltern Senior
Citizens Hall.

Also to entertain us with their rendition of bird songs will be the Chiltern
Singers.

SATURDAY

Saturday morning we will all meet at the senior citizens rooms at 8:30AM and
bus trips with group leaders, which includes Tim Dolby, on board or car pool
tag-a-longs will be the order of the day. The trips will go to Cyanide Dam and
the Honeyeater Picnic Area, Bartley's Paddock, and the foot of Mount Pilot.

Hopefully lots of our feathered friends will be in attendance.

Saturday evening there will be a smorgasbord dinner and then 3 speakers will
entertain us.
Dean Ingwersen from Birds Australia will speak on threatened woodland birds and
the Chiltern connection. Jim Blackney from Trust for Nature will speak on the
work being carried out to encourage birds to nest in this area, and Jeff
Carboon from Parks Victoria will speak on the National Park.

SUNDAY

No planned activity everyone is free to enjoy our national park and of course
our birds.

This weekend will cost $50 and we need to know numbers for catering purposes by
3rd September at the latest. Many thanks.

Contact Beryl Pickering: phone/fax 03 5726 1611 or email