birding-aus

Pelagic trips

To: "'Jim and Sonia O'Shea'" <>, "'birding-aus'" <>
Subject: Pelagic trips
From: "Tony Russell" <>
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2007 14:01:07 +0930
All sounds great Jim, but you fail to mention the high proportion of
birders who chuck up during pelagic trips, thus detracting from the
"joy" of seeing the big sea birds. I have seen people so sick and
dehydrated that they are seriously ill, often lying under cabin tables
with glazed eyes and green looking tight skin on their faces.  Sort of
takes the joy out of it. I always get sick, but fortunately not as bad
as I've just described.  None of the " tried and true" remedies work for
me, and I fear sometimes make things worse.  I've done quite a lot of
pelagics over the years, last year's Ashmore Reef trip probably being my
last. It just ain't worth it anymore.

Tony.