birding-aus

Satin Bowerbird calling at night?

To: John Leonard <>
Subject: Satin Bowerbird calling at night?
From: Penny Brockman <>
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2007 20:00:55 +1000
John Leonard wrote:
Some firends of our who live in the same suburb in Canberra, but
nearer to a Satin Bowerbird's bower, tell us that the male was calling
at night last spring (they report around 11pm, so several hours after
sunset).

Does anybody else have any experience with this species calling after dark?

Dear all

I've got very active SBBs in my garden and so far have not heard them calling at night, even over a period with full moon. I'll keep my ears open as often go to bed very late or wake up very early, like 2-3am.

The on-going saga of the bower in my front garden is that on my return from 2 weeks in Queensland, I found the bower was totally destroyed. No doubt this was done by the visiting older male SBB who appeared the day I left home. Today, the young black SBB was back busily erecting sticks again, despite the rain that has fallen over the last 3 days. He's bringing in new sticks, ignoring those that are now forming a nice flat floor for his display and new bower. Wonder how long before the big bully is back!

The 3/4 yr male is often present, making a lot of noise and dancing with the blue treasures but not playing around with sticks.