birding-aus

Plumed and Water Whistle Duck, Strzelecki Desert, South Australia.

To: birding aus <>
Subject: Plumed and Water Whistle Duck, Strzelecki Desert, South Australia.
From: Ian May <>
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2007 16:37:49 +0930
g'Day all

We returned to Caroowinnie Waterhole S 28 47.90, E 140 10.00, Strzelecki Desert on 02/08/2007 hoping to photograph Water Whistle Duck, Dendrocygna arcuata that were present on our previous trip on 11th July. On this occasion however, 23 Plumed Whistle Duck Dendrocygna eytoni, were present but the WWD had gone. Although initially timid, the birds took to the air and circled in a tight segregated flock for several minutes before settling to the water and allowing a much closer approach. Also present were two Freckled Duck with many hundreds of Pink-eared Duck, some with downy young and also Grey Teal (250+) and two Australian (Blue-winged Shoveller) with 10+ Black Duck. We obtained some reasonable photo's.

Regards

Ian May

St Helens, Tasmania