birding-aus

RFI : Cow Bay FNQ

To: Bron Stow <>
Subject: RFI : Cow Bay FNQ
From: David Stowe <>
Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2007 22:36:01 +1000
Hi Bronwyn
Best tip for Cassowary is to keep your eyes open where-ever you are up there. Make sure you drive slowly to increase your chances of seeing them on the side of the road and also decreasing the chances of hitting one!

Friends who live in Cairns saw an adult Cassowary with 3 chicks crossing the road just north of the ferry a week ago.

We have seen a male and chicks at Jindalba Boardwalk (spelling??) right near the carpark a couple of years ago. We were with Trish and Andrew from Red Mill House and apparently they are regularly sighted there. This doesn't mean anything like a guarantee of course! There were also Buff-breasted Paradise Kingfishers nesting there but they won't arrive until later in the year sorry.

If you don't see a Sunbird without trying I would be very very surprised!

Cheers
David Stowe