birding-aus

Avian Conspiracy & Cosmic Birding Kharma

To: L&L Knight <>
Subject: Avian Conspiracy & Cosmic Birding Kharma
From: John Tongue <>
Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2007 21:58:14 +1000
Hi All,
Not so sure about the 'birding karma' (though I have been enjoying about the humour of this thread). However, on Long Service Leave in 2004, we did lots of birding (though mostly fairly cursory) in lots of areas. In KAtherine on the way north, we bought a little locally produced guide booklet, giving directions for lots of top end specialties. We managed to track some of them down following the guide's directions (most satisfyingly, the Hooded PArrots South of Katherine). However, we checked lots of their recommended places (some 'sure sites') for Northern Rosella, but always without luck. As we were heading back south again after 'doing' Darwin, Kakadu, etc. We called in at Copperfield Dam, just out of Pine Creek, to look for Partridge Pigeons (which we never saw), and after a few minutes searching, a pair of Northern Rosellas flew into a low scrubby Eucalypt, and gave us cracking views!

I agree, often the best way to see a target bird is not REALLY to be looking for it!!

John & Shirley Tongue
Ulverstone, Tas.