birding-aus

Brisbane.

To: <>
Subject: Brisbane.
From: "michael hunter" <>
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2007 14:03:16 +1000
Thanks for your comments,
                                           I know and love Brisbane, and have
birded its outskirts a few rewarding times, last time picked up Oriental Cuckoo
and, thanks to you Tom, saw Painted Snipe and ticked White-throated Nightjar.
Usually we hire a car but our plane was late and I wasn't up to navigating
Brisbane at midnight, which is why we walked around the Uni and CBD rather than
exploring the hinterland over the following three days once the Conference was
over.
                                            We actually caught a taxi from the
Airport, the Aussie driver, a local, had never heard of our hotel, but punched
the street name into his in-car navigation  computer, followed the verbal
instructions and took us straight there. Next time we'll hire something with
onboard navigation built-in.
                                             The drought certainly had
something to do with the birding, trees were drooping and dying as was
shrubbery. What was striking was the absence of House Sparrows.
                                                  Cheers
                                                      Michael