birding-aus

The Great Global Warming Swindle

To: birding birding-aus <>
Subject: The Great Global Warming Swindle
From: Russell Woodford <>
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2007 16:13:07 +1000
I think some people have missed the point here. Before the "documentary" was shown last night, the ABC host, Tony Jones, strongly advised that the movie was not consistent with ABC policy. Afterwards, Jones interviewed the film maker and pointed out a few of the program's many flaws and false claims. Then there was a panel "discussion" - albeit a rather controlled and abbreviated one - plus a few questions from the studio audience.

THere was never any sense that the ABC was promoting the views contained in the film - and Tony Jones' handling of the discussion made it clear that he felt the documentary was seriously flawed.

My only objection was that the comments from the studio audience were curtailed and people trying to ask questions were cut short and told their responses were "comments"! Not sure why Jones did this - I can only guess he was under a time restriction - a pity, because it would have been beneficial for these questions to be addressed by the panel.

The panel, by the way, was reasonably representative - you can never get every possible view represented. There were two science journalists (one pro, one con) two academics (one pro, one con) two mining industry lobbyists (one pro, one con) plus a couple of other people from the business world who had been political advisers on climate change - both of whom challenged most of what was said in the documentary.

You can read more on the ABC website:
http://www.abc.net.au/tv/swindle/

I haven't looked at the online forum today - last night in the first hour after the documentary & discussion, there were a lot of silly comments about the ABC and Tony Jones.

Russell Woodford
Birding-Aus List Owner

Geelong   Victoria   Australia
http://www.birding-aus.org