birding-aus

Swift Parrots

Subject: Swift Parrots
From: "steve roderick" <>
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2007 15:11:21 +1000
Hey all,

Have just come back from Kurri Kurri (Hunter Valley) TAFE, where I had a great find. Its blowing a gale up here but near the office in a Grey Gum I come across 6 Swift Parrots. The birds were almost touchable in a small tree. I took some photos and decided to have a look for others even though the conditions are terrible. During the next 40mins I came across groups of 14,18,46,16,42 and 36......172!.......small flying flocks were also here and there and I estimate there to have been over 200 birds in the area, plus whatever I missed and I'm sure to have under the conditions. All birds were found lerping in Grey Gums along with large numbers of Pardalotes. Maybe these birds have moved inland due to the rains along the coast in the hunter and central coast, nectar maybe be sparse and they have turned to lerps. Hopefully the wind will die down(I doubt it) and I will go back in the morning to check them out again. Absolutely awesome to see so many birds, more than I found a couple of years ago when the Spotted Gums were flowering.

Steve Roderick.

Win a $16,000 adventure to Rajasthan, India, with Travel Indochina. Enter now!