birding-aus

Sydney sea watch 16 June 2007

To: <>
Subject: Sydney sea watch 16 June 2007
From: "Tom and Mandy Wilson" <>
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2007 08:48:09 +1000
Hi all
I did a sea watch from North Head Sydney yesterday between 1:15 and 3:45pm. Conditions were not great, as there were regular rain squalls (I got the first hour in relatively unscathed but after that it was 10 minute rain/not rain intervals and the view to the horizon was rarely clear). I managed to stay mostly out of the strong wind though, which made things a bit easier. Quite a few albatross in close, lots of gannets and a few others. My list included:

4 Yellow Nosed Albatross
30+ Black Browed Albatross
1 Wandering Albatross
2 Giant Petrel sp (both v close in, almost between the heads)
2 Great Winged Petrel
5 Fluttering Shearwater
Lots of Gannets (didn't count the number of these)
15 Silver Gulls (just one grouping - there were 100s on Long Reef Golf Course when I stopped in there)
20 Crested Terns

I dropped in briefly at Long Reef on the way home (about 4:15 - it was starting to get dark) and saw 4 White Fronted Terns tucked in on the northern edge of the rock shelf

Cheers