birding-aus

Mallee tripreport June 2007

To: Birding-Aus <>
Subject: Mallee tripreport June 2007
From: "Albert Vrielink" <>
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2007 12:50:05 +1000
Hi All,

This is a trip report about one and a half day birding at Wyperfeld
and Hattah-Kulkyne. Mike Tesch and I left Melbourne last Friday – 22nd
June 2007 – late afternoon, stayed the night at Rainbow and got up
early to begin with the Discovery walk at Wyperfeld South on Saturday
23rd of June. This was my first trip to the mallee and I was surprised
how quiet it was. Not many birds were singing. We heard a possible
Redthroat in the valley before Lake Brambruk. Unfortunately we didn't
see it. The few birds on the Discovery track we did see were Mulga and
Red-rumped Parrot, Mallee Ringneck, Inland and Yellow Thornbill,
Yellow-rumped Pardalote, Varied Sittella, Yellow-plumed Honeyeater,
Grey Currawong and more common species. Along the Dattuck track and
Mallee Fowl walk the highlight was 2 pairs of Chestnut Quail-thrush.
Great views! Next stop was Black flat but no Regent Parrots or Pink
Cockatoo's were found, actually not anywhere at Wyperfeld North. Nice
species around the campsite and Black flat were Bluebonnet, one male
and some immature Red-Capped Robin, Jacky Winter and Rufous Whistler.
The immature Red-capped Robins look actually a bit like female Flame
Robins; no reddish colour on front of head and whitish wing patch.

In the afternoon we drove to Wyperfeld North – Casuarina campground,
were we stayed the night. We had the place to ourselves. No surprise
as the temperature dropped to minus 2 at night but still a great
experience. The same afternoon we located the pair of Striped
Honeyeaters and a male Splendid Fairywren in breeding plumage.

The next morning – Sunday 24th of June – after warming up at the camp
fire, we finally saw a pair of Pink Cockatoo's. For me it was the bird
of the trip. Later that morning possibly another couple was seen
flying over. The weather was good; clear sky a little breeze and
sunny. We did a two hour walk to the west north and north-west of the
campsite a stumbled upon a feeding frenzy with a huge variety of
birds. Species we saw were Spiny-cheeked, Singing and Brown-headed
Honeyeater, Inland, Yellow-rumped and Chestnut-rumped Thornbills,
Southern Whiteface, Red-capped Robin, Jacky Winter, Brown Treecreeper,
Varied Sittella (black-headed), White-browed babblers, Tree Martins
and Rufous Whistler. Here we also saw the only Regent Parrots of the
whole trip; four birds flying by. A lone Yellow-throated miner was
found along Wool track. We had no luck finding the White-browed
Treecreepers.

Next was a brief visit to Hattah-Kulkyne to start with the Nowingi
track. No Emuwren or Grasswren to be seen or heard but we had good
views of Crested Bellbird and a male Golden Whistler. At the campsite
a flock of 25 Apostlebirds were very present and a Restless Flycatcher
was heard. There was plenty of water in the lake was but not many
birds were seen; Great Egret was the highlght. When we left the park a
male Chestnut Quail-thrush crossed the highway before we headed back
to Melbourne.

It was a great mallee birding experience, possibly my last as I'm
heading back to The Netherlands soon. Therefore I would like to thank
everyone that contributed to my Australian birding experiences from
the last year. It was a fantastic birding time and I hope to come back
one day.

Cheers,
Albert Vrielink