birding-aus

Tips and Tricks for novice Twitchers!

To: "'Steve Potter'" <>
Subject: Tips and Tricks for novice Twitchers!
From: "Tony Russell" <>
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2007 11:08:19 +0930
Hallo Steve, how come I don't know you ?  I live in Adelaide too. Are
you a member of Birds SA ?
When I was still working I used to go on longer caravan trips of four or
six weeks with a person who does masses of very competent planning. We
used to know what to expect behind almost every stone or tree. This
added enormously to the efficiency of time and money spent - but we'd
still come home whinging about having missed one or two subspecies.
In regard to your comments below, I find I agree with much of what you
have said, especially the bits about prioritising and giving up a few
things in order to make time and money available for the (all important)
activity of twitching. Some of those who whinge about twitching are
perhaps just not prepared to make those sacrifices and I have little
sympathy for them.
 Others I do sympathise with are those who find themselves hog tied by
having partners not into birding (and who may resent spending the time
and money) and/or a tribe of kids to look after, or may just simply not
have the funds.  I used to be in that situation but once my wife died
and my kids all left home I was liberated into a state of being much
freer in deciding how to spend my time..  A properly organised
retirement with enough money to fund twitching, and a new partner ( who
is a birder this time and understands my passion) and I'm now sitting on
732 Oz lifers including quite a few rare vagrants.  One difference is
that I'm only interested in Oz birds and have no wish to go overseas
birding. Many of those places I deem too dangerous for me anyway and
I'll wait for their birds to come here.
The internet provides me with heaps of info as to what birds are about
and by accessing Qantas, Jetstar, Virgin, Car Hire, and accommodation
websites I do all my own bookings at rates better than any travel agent
can get - in fact those buggers add a service fee for everything they
book unless you can convince them to do a price beat.
  I get to Perth, Darwin, Cairns etc from Adelaide for $199 each way if
I pick my flights carefully, and car hire is always $20-30 a day cheaper
by going direct to Budget, Thrifty, or Avis.  The beauty of this is that
you can sit at your PC at leisure and select the cheapest flights and
car hire, things that you never get shown through an agent. And you see
all the accommodation available in various locations , not just the ones
the agency wholesalers deal with.
Nowadays it's cheaper to do short term trips by fly/drive than to go by
car and/or caravan. Of course those slower trips allow more time for
birding along the way, but the cost of fuel is rapidly outstripping
airfares.

One of the things I run into quite often is being unable to find someone
prepared to go with me.  This year sees me for the first time zapping
off on my own regardless. I found this a little daunting at first but
having done some lone ranger stuff  I'm now comfortable with it.

Just waiting to see what turns up next.

Tony.