birding-aus

Autumn update

Subject: Autumn update
From: "Bill Jolly" <>
Date: Sun, 03 Jun 2007 20:31:49 +1000

Thanks Grant for some very useful input. This is another example of where birding-aus comes into its own, putting people from distant parts of the country in touch with each other about birds which are familiar in one location moving to another where they are less often seen.

What you described as typical of Rose fits well with what I've been seeing, and corresponds with what others have indicated. It seems that these are a pair of birds that display distinctively different habits.

I've had a lot of input offline too, all of it helpful. As Greg Clancy pointed out, "I have NEVER seen a Rose Robin in female plumage with that that much red and certainly never that colour. It is quite strange."

Despite which, much else about this individual says Rose Robin to Greg and to others.

It's clearly a very unusual bird - I'll make another posting in a few days when I've summarised the arguments for and against. I'll also try for some more photos. I had no success this-afternoon, due to some welcome rain, but will try again tomorrow. The bird has been here for 6 days so far.

All the best

BIll Jolly