birding-aus

Yellow-tailed Black-cockatoo breeding

To: John Tongue <>
Subject: Yellow-tailed Black-cockatoo breeding
From: Michael Todd <>
Date: Sat, 26 May 2007 23:25:30 +1000
Hello all,

Thanks everyone who responded to my query about Yellow-tailed Black-cockatoo breeding. There were a few observations of juvenile YTBC so it sounds as though breeding is taking place and there may not be an immediate concern. Not much info on where they actually breed however.

I think they probably warrant being watched closely and I can't emphasise enough the importance of noting nest sites.

Cheers

Mick

____________

Michael Todd
Wildlifing- Images of Nature- www.wildlifing.com
Ranelagh, Tasmania
Latest Additions: Updated Australian Mammals Gallery
Mobile: o41o 123715

John Tongue wrote:

Hi Mick,
We holidayed on King Island a few years back - mostly to go birding there!

There is a flock of YTBC's on King, numbering around 30-40 birds, but many of the locals commented that no-one had recorded any breeding there for quite a few years - some felt it was since some large fires a few years back. This is all pretty anecdotal, and others may know of YTBCs breeding on King Is. recently, but a few of the locals were quite concerned about how long the local flock (which doesn't seem to migrate to either 'mainland') could last with no breeding going on.

John Tongue
Ulverstone, TAS.