birding-aus

killing of rare parrots

Subject: killing of rare parrots
From: "Simon Mustoe" <>
Date: Sat, 26 May 2007 09:20:06 +0000
What I can never understand is why no-one takes this up in the Federal Courts. Under the EPBC Act, someone who takes and action that has, will have or is likely to have a significant impact on a matter of national environmental significance, is guilty of an offence if the take the action and it has not been approved. Regent parrot is listed as such.

If I recall rightly, for corporations, this can mean up to $5million fines and possibly 2 year prison sentences. By any account, the intentional killing of 40 birds could be significant. A glance at the National Action Statement indicates a population estimate (albeit low confidence) of 1,500 breeding birds. Even if we were to assume an equal proportion of non-breeders, this would be 1.3% of the total population. One percent is quite widely recognised as a reasonable quantitative level of significance but this would only have to be established as likely, on balance of probability. State penalties are always very low and as Alistair indicated, any ruling on criminal activity can be mitigated by circumstances concerning the state of mind of the offender.

The threat of much greater punitive measures under Commonwealth law might nonetheless help provide greater disincentive in other cases. It should at least be given more recognition in these forums and in the media. Do we know where the Federal government stand on this case?

Regards,

Simon.