birding-aus

Best birds while Destroying the Wetland???

Subject: Best birds while Destroying the Wetland???
Date: Mon, 21 May 2007 16:43:57 +1000 (EST)
Wonder what we will be seeing in the short to medium term around the
Gwydir "catchment"? I'm sure others on this list have heard this story, if
not please check link below: just caught a glimpse of an ABC news report
and this little bit of landclearing seems extraordinary: my immediate
reaction to the extent of destruction was something like: surely some
twitchers were passing by and noticed something odd going on?  Or a
respectable, law-abiding local perhaps?  Or even a "farmer"?  I doubt it.

Too cross to make much of a comment, but this is exactly the sort of
"accident" I remain concerned about with Fed Gov (of any persuasion)
control and "management" of water in the interests of "farmers".
Disgrace. Can governments and landholders be trusted, let alone held
accountable under all relevant laws, policies, international agreements? I
doubt it.

http://www.abc.net.au/am/content/2007/s1928265.htm

Mr Angry (aka Craig Williams from Lake Macquarie, near Newcastle, home of
the common property developer)