birding-aus

Samsonvale Cemetry

To: <>
Subject: Samsonvale Cemetry
From: "Steve Murray" <>
Date: Sat, 12 May 2007 13:26:36 +1000
Hello birders...Just spent a morning birding around Samsonvale cemetery on
the shores of Lake Samsonvale (well, there used to be a lake there I'm told)
north of Brisbane. It was a great morning for raptors with great views of
Spotted Harrier,  which I know have been seen in the area before, as well
as, (to my surprise), a beautiful Black Falcon seen both in flight and
perching. The falcon was being harassed by a pair of Black-shouldered Kites
and may not hang around too long. I would be interested to hear from
Brisbane birders as to the status of Black Falcon around here. It's one of
those birds that I think I have seen before but never well enough to add to
my list. Also great views of a Collared Sparrowhawk acting more like a
harrier, ie, gliding over the long grass and dropping down periodically.

I now have 64 species for this site after about five visits. I think you
could make a hundred here in time.  It's such an interesting mixture of
habitats.

Cheers Steve Murray