birding-aus

RFI: Cairns area

To: <>
Subject: RFI: Cairns area
From: "James F. Holmes" <>
Date: Fri, 11 May 2007 14:17:35 -0700
My father and I are planning short stop in Cairns on our way to Papua New
Guinea in July.

We will arrive in Cairns around 11am on July 13.
We depart from Cairns to Port Moseby on July 17th at noon.
We will be back in Cairns on Aug 8 but leave on Aug 9 for the US (we plan to
spend the afternoon in Cairns and bird the local Cairns spots).

We would like to get some information/suggestions on where we should go in
NE Queensland for July 13-16.

We are planning to stay at Cassowary house on the night of July 16 (and bird
there on the afternoon of the 16th and morning of 17th).  We are not
planning to go to the Great Barrier Reef.

Our plans for the afternoon of July 13, July 14, July 15 and morning of July
16 are flexible.  We will be targeting the 13 endemic species of this area
along with specialties such as Cassowary.

We can do one of the followign plans: 1)stay in Yungaburra and bird Atherton
Tables for 3 nights, 2) stay at Julatten for 3 nights and bird that area or
3) combination of 2 nights at one of these areas and 1 night at the other.

We would be indebted if someone could send us a suggested itinerary for
these days (July 13-16) to give us the best chance at the birds of interest.

Also, for the difficult endemics (Lesser Sooty Owl, Chowchilla, or Golden
Bowerbird) any suggestion (sites and how to find) would be greatly
appreciated.  We also hope to see some of the special other birds of the
area (Jabiru, Sarus Crane, Brolga, Australian Bustard, Chestnut-breasted
Cuckoo, Rufous Owl, etc)

And if anyone is coming to northern California and needs information about
the area, I would be happy to provide it or bird with you if I am off from
work.

Thanks in advance,

Jim Holmes
Sacramento, CA  USA