birding-aus

Helicopters and wetlands - Altona, Vic

To: "BIRDING-AUS" <>
Subject: Helicopters and wetlands - Altona, Vic
From: "Peter Shute" <>
Date: Thu, 10 May 2007 13:24:29 +1000
This case has now been heard by VCAT and we should have a decision
within 2 weeks.

Our arguments based on anything to do with the wetlands were heard but
will be considered to be adequately dealt with by making sure the flight
path is far enough from the swamp.

The local council very helpfully suggested the railway line right beside
the swamp as a handy limit, despite the applicant originally specifying
one 200m further away.  I asked for a limit slightly tighter than the
original one, and managed to get the applicant to declare that one plan
showing a path 150m *over* the swamp was a mistake.

Their helicopter pilot expert witness dismissed our suggestion that
pelicans, etc, that fly over the takeoff site may be hit, saying that
they always simply turn away as soon as they hear a helicopter.  He was
also keen to have us all believe that all birds disturbed by a
helicopter simply return as soon as it has passed, based on what he has
seen while flying.

It was hard to do anything but claim that he couldn't prove these
things, but I did get him to admit that there might be very many species
that he couldn't see, and that he wouldn't know what they did when he
flew over.  It seems like some specific research about this would be
very useful in cases like this.

The Tribunal thanked me for volunteering not to read out the names of
120 species that have been seen in there.

At one stage I had the Tribunal members and all parties, plus about 20
neighbours in my backyard, then in my back room, watching test flights.
A Little Eagle (I think) conveniently started circling overhead, but
unconveniently kept circling undisturbed while the helicopter
manoeuvered not far below it.

I also got a helicopter ride from the city to Altona and back, and
spotted quite a few interesting places that I should check out for
birds.  What a great view you get from that height, not only of the
ground but of high flying birds you don't normally see from above.  If
only these machines were a little quieter!

Thanks everyone for your comments and suggestions, I'll post the results
of the decision when it comes.

Peter Shute

 wrote on Friday, 23 February 2007
10:14 AM: