birding-aus

Long weekend at Etty Bay

Subject: Long weekend at Etty Bay
From: Ian Cowan <>
Date: Mon, 07 May 2007 17:23:38 +1000
It is not often you can say your first tick for a place is a cassowary, but that happened to me this weekend. Robyn and I had escaped late Friday afternoon and set up the caravan down at the small caravan park at beautiful Etty Bay near Innisfail. We had just settled down to a glass of wine and I was thinking about a bird list for the site (I had heard laughing kookaburra and forest kingfisher) but the first bird sighting turned out to be a large male cassowary wandering quietly through the park - he turned out to be a regular visitor late afternoon and early morning, seemingly unconcerned with people, cars and tents and eating the native figs and other fruit on the ground. Any southern visitor this winter grey nomad season needing a cassowary tick should find this one relatively easy.
Ian Cowan
Clifton Beach

ps Etty Bay is a dog free zone