birding-aus

Birds near Woodlands Park

To: <>
Subject: Birds near Woodlands Park
From: "mcgregor" <>
Date: Sat, 5 May 2007 15:28:05 +1000
Hi Charlie,

I work at the Department of Primary Industries site that abuts the
south-east corner of Gellibrand Hill Park. I saw the Peregrine Falcon about
3 weeks ago swooping over the paddocks at about 1300 hrs. The WW Choughs
were conducting a close inspection of paddocks on our southern boundary on
Friday, the first time I have seen them here since working at the site
(1994).

The wedge-tailed eagles have been in residence for several years at least.
Over the past two drought years the eagles took to taking supper amongst the
colony of wallabies that were kept on site. Up to three WT eagles learnt to
shepherd the wallabies with their wings outstretched into a corner of their
enclosure until a suitable kill was organised. Owing to their predations the
colony has had to be moved to another location. On Friday there were two
eagles harassing an adult alpaca in a similar manner.

Several feral cats at the site have significantly reduced numbers of Superb
blue wrens.

Whistling kites have nested in the area for most of the past 6 years.

I often see Crested Shrike-Tits and Musk and rainbow lorikeets are common.
Numerous pairs (up to 12 pairs have been counted) of Red-rumped parrots feed
on the short grass around the buildings and roadsides.

During the drought period of 2003-04 there was a very large population of
roosting ravens which exceeded 130 birds at the peak of the summer but this
year their numbers have not exceeded 30 birds.

Water birds frequently visit dams on this property, including Australasian
Grebe, Hoary-headed Grebe, Pacific Black Duck, Australian Wood Duck, Grey
Teal, Chestnut Teal, Black-fronted Dotterels, White-faced and Pacific
Herons.

Nearby, a Nankeen Kestrel has recently moved into the area near Gladstone
Park shopping centre and can be seen swooping over cars on Mickleham Road.
Over the past 3 weeks I have twice seen a Kestrel perched upon a roadside
light in the area eating a kill.

Bruce McGregor