birding-aus

Buff-banded Rails in metro Perth

Subject: Buff-banded Rails in metro Perth
From: "John Graff" <>
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2007 21:51:04 +1030
Hi all,
I was driving round today (driving lesson) and as I passed a small park
along Kayle St in North Perth i saw a buff-banded rail foraging around on
the lawn, away from any cover. Obviously, i couldn't stop for a closer look
but my brother tells me he's seen them quite regularly there recently. In my
experience, Buff-banded Rails are present at most of the major lakes around
Perth and along the Swan River, but tend to stick to cover, particularly
when there are people about. The only other place I've seen them stay in the
open in the presence of people is on Penguin Island. Today, there was a
family playing ball in the park about 20 metres away, but the rail seemed
unconcerned by them and by the car driving past less than 10 metres away.
I'm interested to hear from others as to whether they have observed this
elsewhere around Perth and how common it is.

Cheers
John Graff

*The park is on the corner of Bourke St and Kayle St, just off Charles St in
North Perth (UBD Map 268, F3 and F4). Bourke St is off Charles Street,
second left turn after the intersection with Vincent St as you head away
from the city.

Advertisement: Silverchair: Young Modern ? listen to full tracks plus win
gig tickets!
http://ninemsn.com.au/share/redir/adTrack.asp?mode=click&clientID=772&referral=competitionpage&URL=http://music.ninemsn.com.au/silverchair