birding-aus

The Peppered Moth;

To: "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: The Peppered Moth;
From: "Kim Sterelny" <>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2007 12:54:59 +1200
Dear All

The Peppered moth example has never, to my knowledge, been discussed an a
paradigm example of speciation or macroevolution. It has always been discussed
as a fine example of microevolution: of evolutionary change within a
population, the result of a change in gene frequency. As such, the example
stands. There is a fine history of biology book on the Peppered Moth example
(which annoyingly has disappeared from my personal library!) and it is true
that (as usual) the story is not as simple as that told in textbooks. But the
example stands as a clear example of selection-driven microevolutionary change.
The remarks about new genes, subspecies, etc are not relevent.

Kim

Philosophy, Victoria University of Wellington, PO Box 600, Wellington, New
Zealand. Phone: 64-(0)4-4721000 x864; fax 64-(0)4 463-5143.