birding-aus

new zealand and ulva island

To: "birding aus" <>
Subject: new zealand and ulva island
From: "gary wright" <>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2007 18:25:29 +1030
Dave

If yoiu get Robertson and Heather "hand guide to the birds of NZ"  it gives
yoiu a guide on good places to see birds in NZ as well as being a field guide.
Their are boat taxis going over to Ulva Is all of the time-from memory $20 pp
and it is self guided from there.  The night tour for brown kiwi is in the
above book but is Bravo adventure cruises 03 -2191144 is a four hour boat trip
jsut about gauranteed to see brown kiwi, feeding on beach.  I  assume it is
wear David Attenborough got his footage from.  Again it is relatively
inexpensive(say $60 pp)-we saw Bullers Albatross on teh way out but as it is
getting dark it makes it a bit tricky.  They can be chartered for seabird
excursions.

In terms of seeing the birds you probably only need to overnight-they are all
relatively easy to see(as mentioned previously about NZ birds!)  There are
however a lot of walking tracks on Stewart Is - just look up the conservation
commission website(I can't remember the correct title for their national park
mob)..

Enjoy

Gary