birding-aus

RFI: Trip to NT

To: "Frank Cassar" <>
Subject: RFI: Trip to NT
From: "John & Ruth Walter" <>
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2007 09:28:51 +1000
Hi Frank,
Rufous owls can nearly always be found behind the toilet block near the lower carpark in Darwin's Botanical Garden. You could also see barking Owls in the trees in the carpark. Partridge Pigeon could be seen on roadsides anywhere in Kakadu Rainbow Pitta is usually easy at Howard Springs just out of Darwin. Zitting Cisticola look on the South Alligator flood plain either side of the bridge going to Kakadu, or the Leanyer swamp area. Chestnut Rail an early morning walk along Rapid Creek in Darwin. Great-billed Heron at Buffalo Creek. Gouldian Finches were at a Copperfield dam just out of Pine Creek on the Umbrewarra Gorge road in April last year. further south around the Ferguson River was another place that used to be good, but I am not sure about it since they put the railway line in. All these places are accessible on bitumen except perhaps the Pine Creek dam. Banded fruit Dove and Sandstone Thrush are both resident at Nourlangi rock art site in Kakadu. Look up as you walk the track looking at the art work for the pigeon and on the lower more open sandstone slopes for the thrush. I would strongly recommend you get a copy of Niven McCrie's book Finding Birds in Darwin, Kakadu and the Top End, which will be readily available in Darwin book stores or tourist info places also in Kakadu at Cooinda etc. email (try this but I don't know if it is current). I expect if you hunt around this book would be available in Sydney. Maybe try one of the Bird watching groups. Have a great trip.
Cheers John