birding-aus

Hoons and the birds

Subject: Hoons and the birds
From: Peter Thomson <>
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2007 21:07:33 +1100
Several events in the last 24 hrs have left me very depressed and very grumpy. 1. An ABC TV news item highlighting power boats, water skiing and jet skis on the recently filled and transient Lake Mary near Roxbury Downs SA. 2. Off roading vehicles stuffing up wetland being used by the Javan Pond-Heron in the NT. 3. An application from a Trail -bike club to stage a National Enduro event on private land immediately adjacent to a bird sanctuary in Victoria.

These recent examples of the widespread prevalence of 'people' with total disregard for the natural environment (and also for those like us who appreciate the natural world) fill me with dismay. Birding-Aus is a great safety valve and gives some comfort as a reminder that we are not totally isolated. Strong birding organisations also play a significant role by speaking up for the birds and their habitats.

Peter Thomson (grumpy old man)