birding-aus

NSW - Maroubra Sea watch and Penryhn Rd, Port Botany - 10th March 07

To: "Edwin Vella" <>, "Birding-aus" <>
Subject: NSW - Maroubra Sea watch and Penryhn Rd, Port Botany - 10th March 07
From: "Peter Madvig" <>
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2007 16:01:06 +1100
Hi Edwin,

Went to Maroubra area a couple of weeks ago - in fact, on the morning after I had been out on South Head at 0540 to witness the "Queen Mary 2" make her entrance through the 'heads' into Sydney Harbour! Spent a while at Mistral Point, but the conditions weren't suitable for sea-bird spotting. Went further south and was alarmed over the increased fencing and warning signs (Trespassers will...) BELOW the rifle range area, and saw to my dismay that the little wetland was practically gone. Also, we seem to need quite a scramble to get to the path leading to Magic Point.... is it in fact now 'illegal' to go there?! I think an update on conditions in the area to this list is needed. Are you able to help with this, please, Ed?

Cheers
Peter Madvig,
Beecroft.

PS. Seems to me that it's getting harder and harder to get to "choice" Sydney birding areas. Legally, or because vegetation is taking over. Don't think the birding lobby is big enough to influence the upcoming State elections! My whinge for the day :-)