birding-aus

Pee Wee nests

To: "Graham Turner" <>
Subject: Pee Wee nests
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2007 14:26:06 +1100
A good question (that probably also applies to choughs and apostlebirds), I
would think that sometimes they do break up in heavy rain. However I haven't
seen it happen within the one breeding season from when they are built.
Sometimes they last a whole year but I don't recall that nest often last beyond
that. Inevitably they all break down. Do they do ongoing repair whilst they
have eggs or chicks in the nest? I would think the mud is so tight packed and
fairly smooth surface and that being high in trees, most water would run off or
evaporate before it would severely damage the nest.

Philip