birding-aus

UPDATE ON GREY-HEADED LAPWING

To: "BIRDING-AUS" <>
Subject: UPDATE ON GREY-HEADED LAPWING
From: "ALLAN RICHARDS" <>
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2007 19:51:02 +1100
We have just had a week touring the north-west slopes of NSW and saw some great birds. The shop-keeper at Burren Junction still sells great bacon and egg rolls but he reported that the Grey-headed Lapwing had last been seen in November. People had looked for it in December and January without success to his knowledge. He said that it had been very dry when it disappeared but it was also harvest-time and there was a lot of disturbance from trucks delivering grain to the silos. There are still a large numbers of Plumed-whistling Ducks at the dam behind the silos and lots of Cockatiels about.

Our trip started at Coolah Tops National Park and one of our first birds was a Spotted Quail-thrush. The threat of a thunderstorm didn't stop us from spotlighting. As well as a lot a Greater Gliders, we also saw a Sugar Glider and a boobook just as the rain started. The farmers are no doubt very happy but the rain dogged us for rest of the trip, even back to Sydney. Other highlights where c. 6 Superb Parrots just east of Coonamble.

It was sad to see the extensive damage by the fires to Goonoo and Pilliga forests including around the Aloes and the Salt Caves in the Pilliga. Some roads are still blocked by fallen trees in both forests but we were also hampered by the wet conditions. Along the Coonamble-Pilliga road we saw the only 2 Glossy Black-Cockatoos for the trip.

Our journey ended at a fantastic and reasonably-priced farmstay at the foot of Mt Kaputar. We sat on the verandah and enjoyed sun-downers while watching Little Friarbirds, Singing Honeyeaters and Spotted Bowerbirds drink at a small garden-pond and King Parrots feed on the berries of a nearby white cedar. The Nandewar Ranges created the background.

Regards,
Allan Richards,
Glebe