birding-aus

RFI: Gerygones, thornbills etc. drinking

To: "simon starr" <>, <>
Subject: RFI: Gerygones, thornbills etc. drinking
From: "Wendy" <>
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2007 00:05:09 +1100
I've not read any references on this but it was something I was thinking
about too, before Phil's question.
We have a large local Rainbow Lorikeets population. I have observed them in
the past 'bathing' in the foliage of my eucs. Melbourne continues to be very
dry. While the forecasts may often say showers these seem to be VERY
localised.
The other day one of these showers fell in my area.
I was attracted to the din out the front. A huge mob of Rainbow Lorikeets
were VERY noisily drinking? and bathing in my eucs and then moving tree by
tree (Street trees are predominatly Brush Box/Lophostemon conferus) down the
street.
I don't recall ever seeing Rainbows drinking at pools, dishes etc.
Wendy