birding-aus

Western Treatment Plant Werribee Victoria

To: "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: Western Treatment Plant Werribee Victoria
From: "Shirley Cameron" <>
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2007 20:17:25 +1100
It seems ages since I have put up a report  about the Plant.
As the drought takes an even tighter grip of the country we are noticing a
great difference in our bird population. We seem to have many less waders
and I think every duck within cooee is now at the Plant.
Again we were delighted by the variety and number of raptors,
Black-shouldered & Whistling  Kite,  brown falcon,Swamp Harriers, two
Wedge-tailed Eagles sitting in the tree at the Little River Ford near Lake
Borrie, a Peregrine in the tree at the ford nearer to Ryan's Swamp, Black
Kite were also on our list.
The Borrow Pit was not encouraging, Stints, a couple of Sharpies, a few
Avocet and a similar number of Stilt.  There were a couple of Red-capped
Plover with the Stints. There were many waders on 85W pond too.
 Walsh's Lagoon is gradually drying out and the water level in Lake Borrie
South was very low, while I was checking out all the 'rocks' some started to
move and I realised I was looking at Red-necked Stints taking shelter from
the very strong breeze.  There were 4 Curlew Sandpipers nearby, they are
starting to show breeding plumage, there was a Marsh Sandpiper standing on a
rock nearby, it looked very odd.
At Kirk Point there lots of mature and immature Crested Terns and many
Common Terns, there were 4 Golden Plover nearby.
Both Yellow and Royal Spoonbills were in many places.
6 Greenshanks were sheltering at Greenshank Cove on Little River.
 As it was windy we did not see many small birds but there were Fairy
Martins near the Borrow Pit
We did not go on to the T Section.

Shirley Cameron
Werribee