birding-aus

blue-faced parrot finch

To: <>
Subject: blue-faced parrot finch
From: "Debbie Cooper" <>
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2007 19:00:11 +1000
Have just come back from a quick trip up Mt Lewis. Blue-faced Parrot Finches
were easily seen. During the middle of the day they were feeding along the
track on the left. Later in the afternoon they were at the clearing. Try
looking in the fallen dead tree on the track to the creek.

Also look for them feeding by standing on shrub branches and pulling the grass
heads over to them. Most of them were doing this rather than landing on the
grass head and weighing it down to the ground to feed.

While I was watching a female, a male flew in near her with a piece of moss in
his beak. He flicked his head up and down a few times but she took no attention
at all. After she flew away he sat there for a couple of seconds before
dropping the moss and flying off.

The road up is in good condition but at this time of year that can change
overnight with good rain. Check with the locals if you are unsure.

Following is a list of birds seen:
Lewin's H'eater, Bridled H'eater, Eastern Whipbird, Grey Fantail, Atherton
Scrubwren, Yellow-throated Scrubwren, Blue-faced Parrot Finch, Red-browed
Finch, Chowchilla, Fernwren, Victoria's Riflebird, Sulphur-crested Cockatoo,
Spotted Catbird, Grey-headed Robin, Golden Whistler, White-throated
Treecreeper, Brown Fruit Dove, Bower's Shrike Thrush, Lesser Breasted Blue
Bellied Swamp Emu*.

*This is the fictitious name I use for that bird you only get two nanoseconds
look at before it flies away. I swear there are more of them now than when I
started birding all those years ago.

Cheers

Peter