birding-aus

Reporting unusual sightings

To: birding-aus <>
Subject: Reporting unusual sightings
From: Chris Brandis <>
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2007 08:30:44 +1100
I do not know if the comments on the fig parrot will make it more difficult for birders to report sightings than it already is but it shouldn't. There seem to be some that take it to heart when their reported sighting is rejected/not accepted and they go into a shell of "Well I know what I saw and who are you to tell me otherwise." They then do not report sightings, especially to the groups set up to assess sighting validity. They do not realise that extending a range is a significant event and there are many cases of mis-identifications getting into field guides etc. As one who has had a few rejections I find the review comments generally helpful in preparing future submissions and I know that some sightings will not have the hard evidence to be accepted but I feel that unless they are reported no one knows that there could be a chance and if enough reports come in and some get verified then the earlier ones often get accepted. So reporting unusual sightings through the established channels is important as they say, the birds do not read the field guides. It is always good to take good field notes, pictures are great, etc. and start by discussing it with some more experienced people before having the sighting submitted or published as a "possible" sighting so that it does get into the public domain for the good of the birds.
Cheers  Chris