birding-aus

RE: No Pelagic but a great Plan B outing

To: <>
Subject: RE: No Pelagic but a great Plan B outing
From: "Lee & Margi" <>
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2007 18:48:34 +1000
Hi all,

Unfortunately the Southport Pelagic trip on Sat was postponed due to the
wind and high seas.  Would have been my first, but oh well, I'll try for
another one sometime in the future.  It was also good to meet some of the
Birding-Aus members in person.

Instead, since we were on the Gold Coast a small group (Bill & Jack
Moorhead, Karen, Todd &  myself) decided on Lamington National Park
(O'Reilly's) as our "Plan B".  We walked along the Border Track in search of
Albert's Lyrebird and the many other rainforest birds not on my list.  Along
the walk I managed to add five new birds to my list with good views of my
first Russet-tailed Thrush, Green Catbird (at last! after missing them at
both Bunya Mountains and Bymien/Rainbow Beach), Brown Gerygone, Logrunner
and Albert's Lyrebird.

The Lyrebird was by far the highlight of my day as it was a species I
wouldn't have thought I would be adding to my list this year.  Our small
group heard what we thought was a frog calling in the forest but as we got
nearer the call morphed into various other calls including Kookaburra, Satin
Bowerbird, Riflebird, Catbird and even what sounded like a dog (or Barking
Owl as Jack suggested).  Despite the volume of the calls it was difficult to
find the bird among the forest but eventually it ran across a log that I was
looking at and I was able to get a nice (but quick) view.  The calls were
just amazing! I think this moment will remain one of my birding highlights.

O'Reilly's is a wonderful place and I will definitely be making a trip back
to explore the area further.

My list of sightings for the walk is as follows:

Wonga Pigeon
Crimson Rosella
King Parrot
Satin Bowerbird