birding-aus

Thunderstorms and Catbirds

To: "TERRILL NORDSTROM" <>, "birding-aus" <>
Subject: Thunderstorms and Catbirds
From: "Wendy" <>
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2007 09:09:42 +1100
I have often found woodland birds become much easier to observe in still,
heavily overcast conditions. The birds will move from the canopy or dense
cover often onto the ground.
I remember an experience in Hattah Kylkyne NP, (NW Vic) several decades ago.
I was in a  woodland area in such dull conditions and was surrounded by a
mixed flock of little birds ?thornbills ? pardalotes, etc  (I forget exactly
what, it was a very long time ago), all feeding in the open on the ground.
An Owlet Nightjar even flew down to the ground I presume hunting something.
The small birds,  who usually stick to the canopy and dense cover, seem
fearless. I presume in such conditions (low light) they are reasonably
invisible to predators and when it is still they can listen for threats
better too.
Wendy