birding-aus

RFI Bristlebird population numbers

To: Birding Aus <>
Subject: RFI Bristlebird population numbers
From: Sue & Phil Gregory <>
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2007 21:40:46 +1000
Dear Birding aus folks,
I am compiling accounts of the 3 bristlebird species for Handbook of
Birds of the World, and would welcome data on recent population
estimates for all species so I can make the accounts as relevant as
possible.
My figures for Eastern Bristlebird are summarised below, primarily
from HANZAB and Garnett and Crowley (2000),  but I am sure that more
recent information is out there and would welcome summaries or
pointers on where to look to access it. All such contributions will
be acknowledged.

"Northern race monoides is Critically Endangered, with population in
se Queensland and northern NSW estimated at <100 birds. Has declined
sharply around Lamington NP since 1990 and is gone from many former
haunts.
Southern race brachypterus estimated at <1550 bird in NSW to Jervis
Bay, and 220 in se NSW and e. Vic. Formerly common around Sydney to
early 20th century, and formerly known near Lismore, Dorrigo anjd
Wooton. Known from 10 sites in Vic. 1978-85 but in late 1990’s only recorded from one."

Please reply to me direct, as I am currently not subscribing directly to the estimable Birding-aus, because I need to avoid distractions
with a deadline looming!
Many thanks
Phil Gregory