birding-aus

FW: Quail in urban Melbourne

To: "Birds" <>
Subject: FW: Quail in urban Melbourne
From: "Tony Russell" <>
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2007 10:11:37 +1030
Hi Bill, re your query of the Quail this morning.

Well, what about them ? No-one has any idea as to whether it might have
escaped or is totally wild. There is nothing impossible about a quail
being present in a built up area, and being near parkland as yours was
I'd count it if I needed it. It should also be sent in as an atlas
report, reports about birds in urban areas are just as important as
those in rural areas.
I once had a Buff-banded Rail in my garden at Athelstone  ( SA) and lots
of birdos came around to tick it , and it was sent in as an Atlas report
too.  Crakes and Rails are often found in wet areas within the built
environment, so why not Quail.

Tony.